Monday, June 29, 2009

A copycat of Subway's White Chocolate and Macadamia Cookies

One of my lab co-workers is leaving us soon (*sob*) to go to grad school. She's not leaving our institution, so we'll still get to see her, but it's still sad that she's leaving the lab.

As a parting gift, I made a special batch of white chocolate macadamia nut cookie dough for her. I baked up a dozen or so, but left more than half of the dough raw for her and her boyfriend to enjoy. They love eating dough, especially him. Apparently in some areas of the country, this flavor combo is available in the refrigerated cookie dough selection in supermarkets, and it's sorely missed by my co-worker and her bf after moving here.

I'm not much of a raw dough eater myself. Probably because I get my fill of raw ingredients along the way by licking stuff that gets smeared onto my hands during the process of making things. (Disclaimer: I do wash my licked fingers/hands before continuing the baking process!)

I got this recipe from one of my favorite baking blogs, Cookie Madness, who has greatly contributed to recent increases in readership numbers on this site by posting a link to my blog on her blogroll. She is a great blogger--prolific, responsive to comments and suggestions, and very supportive to the blogging community.

These cookies are supposed to be a copycat of the Subway white chocolate and macadamia cookies (which I have not tried before). I have, however, eaten many of these cookies at our weekly departmental seminars, and they're one of my favorite cookies to eat outside nowadays, since I have grown jaded of the imperfection of other people's chocolate chip cookies after I have conquered them at home. I haven't tried many recipes for white chocolate and macadamia cookies, but of the ones I've tried so far, this one is the best. It's buttery, clean tasting, stays soft in the center even after it's cooled. The creamy white chocolate and crunchy macadamias also provide texture contrasts.

My poor advisor fell victim to two of these cookies, and she called me "evil" a few more times before devouring them...I guess she isn't quite as sensitive to sugar as I thought, since I didn't see her comatose on the floor afterwards... she called these "disgustingly good." I guess that's a favorable review?

Here is the original-scaled recipe below. It's a rather small recipe, so I doubled it when I made it.


White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies (adapted from Cookie Madness and a random Yahoo! Answer, based upon a recipe from The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook)

Ingredients:

1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white chocolate baking chips
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts (lightly salted type)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (Note: I felt like a slightly lower cooking temp, like 350 degrees, worked better for the suggested baking time. Either my oven runs hot, or the recipe is written for browner, crisper cookies than I wanted.) Position your oven rack in the center (this is my variation--the original tells you to place the racks in upper and lower positions and shift the trays midway through baking).

In a large bowl, sift and combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in white chocolate baking chips and macadamia nuts.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheets (or foil/Silpat lined pans). Bake until golden around edges, around 10-12 minutes on the centrally-placed oven rack. Cool a few minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes about 36 cookies (I doubt this. Especially if you're eating dough along the way...)


1 comment:

  1. Those look fantastic! I just adore white chocolate. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete