Saturday, November 14, 2009

Happy National Bundt Day: Introducing the Nutella Overload Bundt!



Moist yellow cake with a Nutella swirl. Frangelico (hazelnut-flavored liqueur) soaking syrup. Chocolate-Nutella ganache. To top things off, a sprinkle of chopped toasted hazelnuts.

Drooling yet? I am.

Remember that exam that I recently survived? Somewhere in the middle of it all, I promised myself that once it was all over, I would bake myself a big freaking cake to celebrate.

And this week, that time had come.

It had to be a Bundt cake, in honor of the upcoming National Bundt Day on November 15 and fellow baking blogger Mary the Librarian's quest to spread Bundt love to the world. She made a Nutella Bundt cake that looked absolutely awesome. She'd used a yellow cake recipe and swirled some Nutella-flavored batter in for striking visual appeal. Meanwhile, I've had my eye on Smitten Kitchen's Best Birthday Cake, so I figured that this would be the perfect time to test-run this yellow cake recipe.

I followed the recipe verbatim for the yellow cake, which is enough for 2 9-inch diameter layers, so make sure to use a standard 12 cup capacity Bundt pan and watch carefully for overflowing. Then in another bowl, I whisked together about 3/4 cup of Nutella, one egg, and about 1/3 of the cake batter. I layered the batters in the pan (which had been generously sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) in the following order: yellow, Nutella, yellow, Nutella, yellow. Then I did a quick swirl around the pan with a butter knife and into the oven it went! I baked for about 45 minutes before I started checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (If it comes out clean, it's done. If it has a few well-articulated crumbs that stick, I give it 5 more minutes before rechecking. If it's completely wet batter that comes out, I give it 10 more minutes before rechecking.)

Layering of the batters before swirling and baking.

Fresh out of the oven.

Very tall Nutella-swirled Bundt cake, cooling.


As previously described, I have a penchant for spiking my cakes with liqueur. Sometimes overly so, to the point where I almost get buzzed off of eating my cakes (ok, so I'm a lightweight, but the point is that I pretty much soak the cake in liqueur).

This time was no different, so the obligatory liqueur was satisfied this time with a mini-bottle of Frangelico (~2 oz.) Saving about 1 Tablespoon of liqueur for the ganache, I diluted the rest of the liqueur 1:1 with water, added about 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar, and heated this mixture on the stove until the sugar dissolved. Once the liqueur and the cake had both cooled down a bit, I brushed the liqueur solution onto the cake little by little. The cake had enough structure to it to soak in all the liquid without getting mushy, which was a good omen of the greatness to come.


Brushing the liqueur-syrup over the cake.


And lastly, a ganache. I'd seen recipes online for Nutella ganache that called for 1:1 Nutella to heavy cream, but I wanted to add some chocolate, and some recipes for traditional ganache suggested 2:1 overall. So I ended up with some sort of fusion between the two. I used about 1 & 1/2 cups of 60% cacao chocolate chips and ~1/2 cup Nutella (eyeballed) and 1 cup of heavy cream that had been brought to just boiling. Add the reserved Tablespoon of Frangelico, whisk until smooth and cool before pouring on cake.

I tried whipping some of the ganache into a fluffy frosting, but it didn't fluff for me. Maybe it's because of the Nutella in it, but in any case, the extra ganache cooled into a thick gooey sauce that was perfect to pass around as extra frosting.

Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chips and Nutella, awaiting ganache glory.


Overflowing with Nutella ganache. So. Hard. To. Keep. Fingers. Away.


The grand finale was a handful of toasted hazelnuts. I toasted them in the oven for ~5 minutes at 350 degrees, rubbed off the skins, and pulsed them in a mini-food processor for a rough chop. Sprinkled on top of the cake, and the rest mixed into the extra ganache, they provided a crunch and burst of hazelnut flavor that accentuated the Nutella and Frangelico in the cake.

Ready to eat!


And the result? A-MA-ZING.

Moist yellow cake that takes you back to eating freshly baked yellow cake as a kid, but BETTER because there is NO faint chemical aftertaste that tells you it's a box mix. Love it.

Add to that: Nutella flavor everywhere....rich, not-too-sweet ganache....need I say more?


One of the few remaining slices after the carnage...


Happy National Bundt Day! Check out ideas for over 30 more Bundts over at the Food Librarian's blog!

BTW, new camera usage for this post! How is it? Half the pictures were taken at like 10pm, using the "indoor" setting on the camera. I think they turned out pretty darn good. I'm liking this camera.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Bundt Day to you! Oh my goodness! This cake is over the top (literally, it is sooo tall) wonderful! The booze, the frosting, the Nutella. What a way to celebrate an awesome day! Thanks for helping me spread Bundt love and all your encouragement during the past 30 days! - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!
    Your new camera works excellent, too!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby's been on a Nutella kick lately, so perhaps I'll have to bump this cake up near the top of the list... looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think any cake has ever been given a more pulse-quickening name. Creativity! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake was the talk of the Uhl/Keister Thanksgiving celebration this year. You were declared a genius, even without a taste-testing.

    ReplyDelete