Free Advertising and the Babka Cinnamon Bun Face-Off

First, I wanted to make a shameless plug for Pandora Radio, which is basically an Internet radio service that will take your favorite artist, song, or genre and make a "station" out of it, and you can tweak it as you go along. I've made stations based on "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz (this is my favorite amateur music video, by Wong Fu Productions) and "Daylight" by Matt and Kim (Bacardi commercial version, or the original music video), two songs I've been pretty obsessed with lately. It's been pretty fun, and now between Pandora and my new Sansa Clip, I am completely iTunes-free!

Do I get any money for that plug? I guess if my hero Stephen Colbert can blatantly product-place and beg for money, then I can try too. =)

In other news, we dug up the old Jewish bakery cinnamon buns from the freezer and tasted them side by side with my freshly-baked babka rolls.


Figure 1. Above left, old cinnamon rolls; above right, new babka cinnamon rolls. Their icing is darker, has a slight taste of maple syrup, I think, and the bread-to-icing ratio is lower. So I probably need to let the icing cook longer on the stove before adding the confectioner's sugar, add a couple of teaspoons of maple syrup, and make a double batch, hehe. Also, the bread is more buttery and sweet than mine is, but I may not do anything about that.


Figure 2. Aerial view of the cinnamon bready goodness.


Figure 3. We love you, old Jewish bakery cinnamon rolls! We'll miss you dearly! (Well, after we eat the last slice hiding at the bottom of my freezer...)


So the verdict is that I didn't 100% replicate the beloved cinnamon rolls, but I was pretty darn close, and it's probably good enough to satisfy our nostalgia.

Comments