Christie's Cookies Copycat: Chocolate chip cookies with toffee bits and pecans
This cookie is an Ultimate cookie: loads of chocolate, ground oats, toasted nuts, even toffee bits. The result is a chocolate chip cookie that is heartier, nuttier, and more complex in flavor than your average chocolate chip cookie. When just a tad underbaked and still warm from the oven, it has that dark, chewy, ooey-gooey texture that would pair wonderfully with some ice cream or a glass of milk
They are supposed to be a copycat of cookies made by The Christie Cookie Company, the sole supplier of the Doubletree hotel cookies (although apparently the Doubletree CCC and the signature Christie CCC are not one and the same). I have never stayed at a Doubletree nor tried a Christie's cookie, but that doesn't stop me from trying or enjoying their copycat recipes!
This recipe has earned the unique distinction of being the first CCC recipe I made solely to freeze the dough for easy access later. I found these satisfying enough after the first try to make the full recipe (which is a gigantic recipe; makes supposedly 96 cookies--I came out with about 78 cookies using rounded 2-tablespoon scoops) and freeze all but 8.
The recipe can be found here. I halved the recipe the first time around, and that version is more comparable to a normal cookie recipe. No problem. The full version was so large that I severely overloaded my poor Kitchenaid mixer by the time I got to the mix-ins (chocolate, pecans, toffee bits). It worked so hard but couldn't get the mix-ins distributed without overflowing from the bowl and the motor even got a little warm, so I ended up folding the mix-ins by hand in the largest mixing bowl I possess. I recommend halving the recipe for logistical considerations unless you've got a gigantic professional mixer. Also, I didn't use the Hershey's bar either time and I increased the salt a little bit the second time around because I found the recipe just a tiny bit sweet otherwise.
Always more chocolate chip cookie recipes to try! Put this one high on your list, though, it's definitely a keeper.
Edit: After baking up a few batches of the dough from the freezer over the last week or two, this cookie has just become my new favorite chocolate chip cookie. The more I eat it, the more I'm loving the nutty and hearty oatmeal flavor, the sugary-crackly crust on top, the intense chewiness on the edges that makes your jaw sore, the little bursts of toffee flavor, the toasted nuts, the dark chocolate bits....it truly is the Ultimate all-in-one cookie. It bakes up beautifully straight from the freezer. I'd definitely recommend baking until golden brown all over, so you get those crispy edges and chewy centers, which is about 10-12 minutes (12-14 if baking frozen dough) for a generous 2-tablespoon cookie.
I find words cannot describe how awesome these cookies are. True story.
ReplyDelete