An Asian Brunch




I rave on and on about American style brunches--you know, the scrambled eggs, the muffins, waffles, pancakes, bacon...

But what I grew up eating as Saturday brunch is pictured above: a big bowl of rice congee topped with (clockwise from top) silken tofu and soy sauce paste, fried gluten and peanuts, pork sung (aka "fuzzy pork," according to Wiki), omelet with scallions and pickled daikon radish, and little cucumber pickles.

Yes, it's a lot of canned and pickled things. Mmm, but it tastes so good on rice!

If you want to go even more decadent, one could always add some pork stewed in soy sauce, or thousand year eggs, or some fresh stir-fried greens.

Or you could just curl up with a jar of cucumber pickles and a bowl of rice, like some people I know (*coughcoughJesscough*). No judgment here.


Comments

  1. Minus the meat, it looks scrumptious! Can you guess who I am?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need this brunch. It looks amazing.

    Those pickles are tasty! Remember how you would ration them? "Um, Jess - two of them are your entire daily intake of sodium."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we will have even more spectacularly greasy yummy breakfasts ahead of us in July =D

    I just checked the nutritional value on the jar: 10 of them is approximately 25% of your recommended sodium intake, and there are 6 servings per jar, so it isn't the end of the world if you ate the whole jar. I may have been more worried at the time due to some suggestion/implication of guzzling the jar, brine and all...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment