Agave and Honey Oatmeal Cookies

It was one of those days that I was craving a cookie, but I didn't want to end up with dozens of chocolate chip cookies that would tempt me continuously and nullify my running with one bite. So I thought I'd make some "healthy cookies."
And really, if you had to award that title to a cookie, it might as well be this one. There's only 1/2 cup of oil in the whole recipe, none of it saturated. There's only natural, unrefined sweeteners (agave nectar and honey). The grains are also unrefined (whole wheat pastry flour, oats, wheat germ). You can add whatever dried "superfoods" you want, like dried berries or raisins, or nuts.
I am not sure what I was expecting on texture, but they came out quite cakey. They're moist, and there's some natural chew from the oats, but Michael's description of them is probably the best way for me to convey how they taste: "They're like mini-scones--more fluffy and crumbly than normal cookies."
The blog I took this recipe from categorized them as a good breakfast cookie, and I agree with that assessment, especially given the scone-like quality of the crumb. I have fallen in love with dried cherries, and they taste fabulous in this cookie with a bit of dark chocolate.
Agave and Honey Oatmeal Cookies (adapted from Cookie Madness)
Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 cup agave nectar
4 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
4 tablespoons toasted wheat germ (I did this in an ungreased skillet, stirring until toasty-smelling)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 scant teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (I used dried cherries and threw in some chocolate chips too)
Instructions:
In a bowl, mix together the eggs, honey, agave nectar, oil, and vanilla until homogeneous.
In another bowl, sift together the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine evenly, then add to wet ingredients and stir until blended. Mix in the oats and raisins (or other add-ins). Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes.
Drop cookie dough onto a prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, 1-2 tablespoons each. These cookies don't spread while they bake, so if you don't want tall, round cookies, pat them down into disks before baking. Bake approx. 10-13 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and middles are dry. Cool completely. Makes about 32 cookies.
Comments
Post a Comment