The photos you see below are a conglomerate of four of the bigger meals we had with family at more traditional style restaurants throughout our trip. These are not necessarily representative of a "normal" go-out-to-eat restaurant a family might visit on a Friday night (unless you're my dad...). But a person might frequent these sorts of places often enough for more special occasions such as birthdays, holidays, or with special guests.
This meal is also described in
this post...lots of things with faces, lots of seafood in general. My family and Jess and I had lunch with a couple of my dad's friends from the insurance world at a family-run seafood restaurant in Lugang, Chunghwa county. The first picture far above shows various customers picking the tastiest
victims seafood for their meal.

Fried oyster fritters

Steamed shrimp

Steamed bamboo, drizzled with Japanese-style sweet mayonnaise and rainbow sprinkles

滷肉飯 (
luroufan): Soy sauce-stewed chopped or ground pork on white rice. It's like the marinara sauce of Taiwan: everyone's grandma makes "the best" and many restaurants claim to have "the best." In other words, so simple, yet perfection is so elusive and subjective.

My family joined my uncles and their families (mom's side) for a train ride and a scenic hike up to the waterfalls near
Shifen in the mountainsides north of Taipei. There were a lot of little cute traditional style villages filled with trinkets to buy and snacks to eat. These old train lines were left over from the coal mining days, but now mostly serve the weekend tourist from all over Taiwan as well as other countries.

Back at the little quaint touristy town of Shifen, we ate some local specialties, like fried whole little shrimp and fish. Yes, you eat the entire thing, heads and guts and all.

A local dish, "sword bamboo"

Later that day, we sat down to dinner at a locale known for their tofu (I forgot the name), particularly spicy stinky tofu. The version we had at the restaurant was all spicy, only a tiny bit stinky. Disappointing, although the tofu itself was delicious. Supposedly the old town district near the restaurant had a lot of street vendors that specialized in the spicy stinky tofu, but we were too full to go out and try more.

And last but not least, a meal at a restaurant near my grandparents' house in Taipei. My grandmother showered Jess with edible gifts and invitations to come back anytime. They also thought she was very tall and was also impressed at how much she was willing to try/eat.
*drool*
The idea of Jess being tall makes me giggle!! Can you explain more about the desirableness of stinky tofu?
ReplyDeleteStinky tofu is one of those acquired tastes like bleu cheese. Smells a little bad, but tastes awesome!
ReplyDeleteFried ones are the mildest, then one graduates to steamed, stewed, or baked.
It's true: I'm a 5'4" chopstick-wielding giant!
ReplyDeleteLiang gave me the best descriptor for stinky tofu - imagine a dumpster full of rotting vegetables, sitting in the sun. That's it.
I'll take your word for it on the stinky tofu!
ReplyDelete:'( It isn't that bad!
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely an acquired taste--my first recollection of eating it was some some steamed stinky tofu at a high brow chinese restaurant in taiwan when we first moved back (I was probably 12), and it was foul and tasted horrible to my palate then. I have grown accustomed to a fried version here in the States at a Taiwanese restaurant here, and it's very mild tasting and goes well with the sweet "kimchi" that comes with it. I think I've grown more attached to it because the smell reminds me of home in that its "fragrance" takes me back to the hordes, tastes, and smells of night markets on a hot summer's night. I definitely agree with Michael it's comparable to blue cheese in the stinky-factor and training of the palate.
ReplyDeleteOh, I love how smells take you right back to a time or place. It's like magic how the brain works with smells! Are there Taiwanese place in Pittsburgh?
ReplyDeleteOh yes. Rose Tea Cafe, in Squirrel Hill. It is a major blessing to have this restaurant, in the city no less, in light of the fact that Pittsburgh has a fairly mediocre Chinese cuisine/food scene. If you're interested in trying it out, just give us a call, we'll be more than happy to come help you order stinky tofu (and help you finish the plate if you decide you don't like it). I made Jess try this restaurant last time she was here, and try the stinky tofu too. Not her favorite thing in the world. She liked the other food, though!
ReplyDeleteThat is just the best fitting descriptors I know of... The fried crunchy outsides and the 'kimchi' for the stinky tofu was tasty, and after the first piece I ate, I was like, "No problem. I can eat this!" But by number three I was not so certain. And I felt sad - defeated by stinky tofu.
ReplyDeleteIn enjoyed this conversation on stinky tofu. I think I will pass on stinky tofu. But I understand the the steamed bamboo with sweet mayonnaise was very tasty. Kathy
ReplyDeleteMichael is happy to try the stinky tofu! Thanks for the restaurant recommendation! If and when we ever get an evening out, we'll keep it in mind. We like to try new food!
ReplyDelete