Zucchini and Marmalade Tea Bread
Zucchini season marches on! So here is yet another variation on the fabulous and versatile quickbread to try while the squashes overrun the markets or your garden.
This zucchini bread comes from the cookbook Tartine, brought to us by the founders of the famous San Fran bakery of the same name. The interesting twist to this recipe is the addition of orange marmalade to the batter, which the authors say adds a complementary layer of flavor to the bread and contributes to the moistness of the cake.
And this baby is Moist--almost pudding-like in its moistness, due to the high ratio of zucchini to flour in the recipe. It isn't too sweet, and the deep brown crust that develops on the outside (especially the sugar-encrusted top) is rich and crunchy when fresh from the oven. It is also paler in color than previous zucchini breads featured on this blog, due to the use of only white sugar.
The biggest problem I had with the flavor profile of this bread was the almost overwhelming flavor of oil that permeated the uncooked batter, and to a lesser extent, the finished product. It was a slightly unpleasant aftertaste that probably only I noticed. This could have been because I used canola oil instead of the recommended safflower or sunflower, or maybe something's off with my oil, but whatever my problem was, the off-flavor was highlighted by the relatively low amount of sugar and subtle cinnamon flavor. I think since the bread was so moist, next time I can probably afford to simply reduce the oil and also increase the amount of cinnamon to boost the flavor. I'll let you know if I try it again and get better results.
Aftertaste aside, this bread was quite yummy. I didn't taste the marmalade but I'm sure it was doing something. Other people (bloggers) who have made it have commented about its elegance and sophistication due to the slight bitterness from the marmalade. It definitely gives off a more "grown-up" air because it is not-too-sweet. Appropriately for its name, I cannot think of a more perfect accompaniment than a cup of hot brewed tea.
Zucchini and Orange Marmalade Tea Cake (adapted from Tartine by E. Prueitt and C. Robertson)
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (9.5 oz) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (5 oz) vegetable oil (safflower or sunflower recommended by authors)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 & 1/2 cups zucchini, grated (one large zucchini should suffice)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (I used pecans)
2 tablespoons sugar (I used turbinado), for topping
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (or line bottom with parchment paper of) a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
Using either a stand mixer with paddle attachment, or by hand with a wooden spoon, beat together the marmalade, eggs, oil, and sugar until combined. Add grated zucchini and salt and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Finally, add the nuts and fold in until mixed evenly throughout batter.
Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out the surface. Sprinkle the top evenly with the extra sugar (~2 Tbsp). Bake at 350 for about 60-70 minutes (for me it was 70, and i probably could have left it in for another 5 minutes), or until a toothpick/skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for approximately 20 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack until completely cool.
Serve at room temperature. Store in fridge for up to 5 days, well wrapped.
Comments
Post a Comment