Green Tea (Matcha) and Ginger Biscotti
It seems a bit late to say happy new year on January 9, but better late than never! So here's my toast to 2011, may it be a happy and prosperous year for everyone.
In the spirit of cutting back on indulgences after holiday-binging, here are these *healthy* green tea (matcha) and crystallized ginger biscotti. Green tea and ginger have been eaten for millennia for their health-promoting and medicinal qualities, and I substituted out all the sugar for Splenda as well as half of the flour for whole-wheat pastry flour. Add some sliced almonds for protein, and you've got yourself a lower-carb tasty treat to go with your afternoon tea or coffee!
Matcha and Ginger Light Biscotti (adapted from Leite's Culinaria)
Ingredients:
2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used half AP, half whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup granulated sugar (I used all Splenda)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons matcha
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (or Splenda), mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a cookie tray with parchment or Silpat.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, sugar (or Splenda), baking powder, matcha, and salt.
With stand mixer or hand electric mixer, beat together the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine. Dough will be sticky (may be drier if using Splenda). Fold in almonds and crystallized ginger.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold a few times to bring the dough together. Divide the dough ball in half, and transfer each half onto the prepared pan one at a time, flattening and shaping each ball into a log approximately 12 inches long. I like to square off the ends (make nice 90 degree angles) and flatten the logs to even height throughout so the slices are as even as possible throughout the log. Brush each log with a bit of water or egg white until the tops are moistened. Sprinkle on the sugar/ginger mixture evenly.
Bake logs for about 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown and the center of the log is firm and springs back when poked. Remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees F. On a cutting board with a serrated knife, slice the logs into 1/2 inch slices either width-wise or diagonally. Lay the slices with the cut face up/down on the pan, and return to oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping them half-way through if you want to avoid browning on one side. Cool completely and store in airtight containers.
OK, you've got my attention with this one. I'm not sure about the green color but am curious about the taste. At my house, regular anise Biscotti is a healthy treat! Kathy
ReplyDeleteThe bright green color just comes with the territory of using matcha. The fragrance is very deep, earthy tea tones, and I think very complimentary with the sweet-spicy crystallized ginger. Let me know if you don't have a source for the matcha powder (ground up green tea probably won't work as a substitute, unfortunately), I have some little sealed packs I can mail to you to try if you are interested in this recipe.
ReplyDeleteThanks, but I will have to wait to try this recipe. We're getting ready to make our first trip to our Southwest house for the winter. I'll continue to follow your blog from there. Kathy
ReplyDeleteHey! Less running and more baking, please!
ReplyDeleteYes, ma'am! I have indeed been baking, and eating quite heartily as well, but I have been very "blah" about posting. Apologies, I will finish up those drafts shortly!
ReplyDeleteHey, I'm one to talk, we're way behind on blogging too! Take your time!
ReplyDeleteI made these last night, and they are delicious!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing~