To make a better pancake/waffle batter
Previously on this blog, I have revealed my go-to buttermilk pancake recipe. It has stood the test of time and trials of other recipes, emerging yet victorious again with my latest innovation-- replacing the buttermilk for Greek-style yogurt!
When asked for descriptors for this new version, I got these responses: "Fluffy...Good crunch on outside...moist...holds shape well." Which are actually a good demonstration of exactly what was lacking in the previous version: heft and structure. The original recipe was moist and tender to almost the point where there was some collapse of the crumb, which sometimes comes across as being mushy instead of moist.
I've been on a Greek-style yogurt kick lately. It is thick and goes well with many sorts of jams and cereals/nuts, I can get non-fat versions in bulk on my normal grocery shopping runs to Costco. Here, they boost the protein content, with twice as much protein as normal yogurt or buttermilk. I like the sturdiness of the resulting pancake, with the same moist interior.
It's a great post-weekend-run carb/protein recovery breakfast! It'll give you energy for the rest of your weekend morning.
DeBakingPsycho's Greek-style yogurt pancake/waffle batter (originally adapted from Martha Stewart)
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups plain yogurt (Greek-style if you have it)
4 tablespoons melted butter (or olive oil)
Instructions:
Preheat your pan/waffle iron.
In a bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Whisk briefly to combine.
In another bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients until smooth. When ready to make waffles/pancakes, pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and fold until just combined. Batter will be THICK (if hard to work with, thin with a little bit of milk, but fold as few times as possible to incorporate extra liquid so batter doesn't become tough).
Proceed with normal pancake/waffle routine. I like to add my toppings to each pancake individually and coat toppings with a thin layer of batter so they won't burn when you flip the pancake and cook the second side. For waffles, you probably should mix the add-ins into the batter directly before pouring onto the iron.
(Note: the best browning of pancakes, I've found, is to use a nonstick pan, DO NOT GREASE PAN, and preheat at medium for several minutes before using. You'll get a nice even brown color and therefore pretty pancakes, especially if you make sure the first side is set and brown before flipping. Let me know if you have any questions about how to cook pancakes.)
(Note: the best browning of pancakes, I've found, is to use a nonstick pan, DO NOT GREASE PAN, and preheat at medium for several minutes before using. You'll get a nice even brown color and therefore pretty pancakes, especially if you make sure the first side is set and brown before flipping. Let me know if you have any questions about how to cook pancakes.)
Makes ~12 pancakes/waffles, depending on the size of each.
Dave and I often make waffles on lazy weekend mornings using a recipe from Joy of Cooking. The recipe yields great waffles but it's a million ingredients and a billion steps including carefully warming things to certain temps, and other fussiness that sucks on an easy morning. I cannot wait to try this recipe!!! I trust your judgment and it looks EASY!
ReplyDeleteWe made them today and they were super waffles! Totally amazing! Our new fave (better taste than Joy of Cooking and so much easier)! We added banana pieces and I think next time we'll add a bit of vanilla, but otherwise perfect. Thank you!!! :)
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm very glad you guys like them as much as we do! I think I add a splash of vanilla when the mood strikes me as well. Our favorite add-ins are blueberries or chocolate chips and cinnamon. I sometimes cut down the recipe to 1/3 or 2/3 of the original recipe so we don't end up with too many leftovers for just two people, and most of the ingredients I reduce proportionally for those ratios, only exception being the eggs--I do 1 egg for the 1/3 recipe and 2 eggs still for the 2/3 recipe. The slight extra egg helps make it even fluffier. Enjoy!
ReplyDelete