Quiet before the storm
Hi.
I know it's been a little quiet over here. It's not because I am not thinking of this blog, or baking on occasion.
It's just because the last 6 weeks have been an emotional roller coaster that I was not prepared to deal with after my last committee meeting.
You see, I am trying to finish up my thesis project by this summer, or at latest this fall, and return back to medical school, and the magnitude of that task has me hyperventilating and my stomach in knots, with very few moments of clarity and peace in between. But most of the time, the near-panic attacks preside. And while I still take time out to relax, it has been more and more of a struggle to keep up my usual baking-blogging routines.
So while I stockpile pictures and try to get my act together one of these days to share some of the awesome recipes I am still lucky enough to have time to enjoy making/eating, here are a few peeks into my plate/lunchbox of late. Above, a sandwich made with milk bread similar to the pain de mie I posted earlier, but with more dairy (cream AND milk AND milk powder) and kneaded until the bread has that awesome quality where it peels apart in shreds and is dense and elastic. SO good. Reminds me of the bread we had in Taiwan, but with more honest character.
A slice of milk bread with homemade blueberry jam (gift from friend) = awesome breakfast.
And of course, Gus is still making a weekly showing. He's been mostly made into crumpets (I received a gift of a set of four crumpet/English muffin molds from the spousal unit, increasing efficiency of production). I've also made some sourdough naan (recipe hopefully coming soon!) and sourdough pancakes recently, which have been tasty. He's as bubbly and happy as ever. Long live Gus!
Comments
Post a Comment