Recent fun with Gus


I have been diligently feeding Gus, my sourdough starter, every one or two weeks, and thus I am always trying to think of what to do with the ripe starter that must be removed to make room for new feedings. We finally finished the last batch of bread awhile back, so I was again ready to try a bread recipe. 


I tried this one from Williams-Sonoma, which was made popular through a few high-profile bloggers' sites. As you can see, it turned out wonderfully. The crust "sang" and crackled when it came out of the oven, which is always an auspicious sign of good bread eating to come. The crust is crispy, and the bread crumb is soft and light and great for sandwiches. 


I also have been making sourdough naan, pancakes and waffles, and of course our standby crumpets when I don't have too much time but want to feed Gus. Yay Gus! He has given sustenance to our family in so many different ways, and hopefully for years to come!

Comments