Peanut butter and bacon cookies
Yes. You read that title correctly.
No, I'm not one of those crazy bacon-is-god sort of people.
...But I do like my breakfast meats sweet and salty. I've always drizzled a little bit of maple syrup on my breakfast sausage or bacon, along with a healthy dose of black pepper.
So when I saw this recipe in Joy the Baker's new cookbook, I thought it weird but intriguing...
(stroking imaginary beard in contemplation)
Meanwhile, I have been on a mission to use up my insane Costco tubs of peanut butter, and I might not have so much trouble if I keep making these cookies!
When I first tried them, I went "Hmmmm...." (more imaginary beard stroking) The nutmeg flavor packed a big punch fresh out of the oven, and I was a little overwhelmed. My second response was "I am not sure yet what I think about these cookies...but I think I need to eat another cookie to decide!" (which is always an optimistic sign)
Once they had fully cooled down and melded in flavor, the combination of sandy peanut butter flavor, crispy/salty bacon, crunchy peanuts, and sugary maple topping was downright irresistible!
Plus, I think these can double as energy bars (peanuts + bacon = protein sources). Totally legit meal replacement. And, with no flour in the batter, you could even try and convince someone that they're low-carb too...
I can't wait to try some of the other recipes in Joy's cookbook!
Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies (adapted from Joy the Baker Cookbook)
Ingredients:
8 slices bacon (I only had 5 slices left, and that was plenty enough too)
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted, salted peanuts
1/4 cup of granulated sugar or maple sugar or a combo, for rolling
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lay the bacon slices in a single layer on the foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through and crisp and swimming in a pool of liquid lard. Remove from oven and let cool. Drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop and put aside.
Keep oven on at 350 and line a baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment. Set aside.
With a mixer, cream together (~3 minutes) the peanut butter and 1 cup of sugar and molasses. Add the egg, baking soda, and nutmeg. Mix on medium for ~2 minutes. The batter will transform into a wet crumbly mixture.
Fold in the chopped bacon and peanuts with spatula. Roll heaped tablespoons of dough into balls, roll in maple/granulated sugar, and place on lined cookie sheet. Pinch the sides of each dough ball with your fingers to stabilize and use a fork to press a criss-cross pattern on the top of each. If the dough ball crumbles, just press it back together as needed.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies should be crumbly on edges, a little chewy in the center. Makes about 18-20 cookies. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Enjoy!
Hmmmmm. I am stroking my beard too. I may have to try these.
ReplyDeleteYes: you'll need to try these.
ReplyDelete