Colorado Travels: Downtown Aspen


With the gorgeous backdrop of ski slopes, downtown Aspen is a picturesque town with all your "basic" shopping venues: Gucci, LV, Burberry, The North Face...with a whole lot of art galleries and gourmet restaurants/eateries. For the plebeian, there were public parks/playgrounds/fountains, more reasonably priced stores such as the Gap and J. Crew, and the obligatory tourist souvenir stores.

While I am poking fun, I'm totally not kidding that this is not for the average bargain-hunting Jane. More for the above-average Jane Rockefeller and her dog Fifi. I followed my advisor art gallery hopping, and the first place we stepped into was COVERED IN CARDBOARD. WALLS. FLOOR. CEILING. And on the walls were these "distressed" pieces of paper with random charcoal scribbles and other items projecting from the paper...yeah, this is art that is beyond my income level to understand.

What I did see in other art galleries that I liked were metal buffalo statues! One day, when I have a home of my own, therein shall reside a buffalo statue.

Here are some other scenes from Aspen:




We stopped here for ice cream. 

Anyone know what kind of dogs these are?? They were super gigantic! Everyone seemed to have dogs in Aspen; we saw so many and none of the same breed twice.

Random high school student cello quartet playing on the street.

Comments

  1. That art gallery sounds ridiculous! I would have been standing there, jaw agape, right along with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advisor was not so aghast as I, she actually quite liked the "distressed" paper art, and got the artist's information. I just tiptoed around like it was a haunted house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment