Bedford Springs Homemade Granola
This is the best granola I've ever had.
No, this may be the best granola in the world.
About a month ago, my program had our annual retreat at the Bedford Springs Resort, a very very nice resort known for its golf course and mineral hot springs. It's almost like stepping back into time when you are there because it looks like a plantation house from the 1800s, and the halls are full of old-timey photographs from hundreds of years of visitors to the Springs.
Anyway, I woke up insanely early on Saturday and couldn't go back to sleep, so we were the first ones there at breakfast and had a few one-on-one conversations with the kitchen staff, who were busily putting all the food out for the breakfast buffet. One kind staff member encouraged me to definitely try their granola, "it's house made and really good." Well. I didn't need more encouragement than that. So I got a container of yogurt, and tried this granola.
It was crunchy, deeply caramel in color, chock full of nuts, and SO fragrant. I immediately picked up my phone and started Googling "Bedford Springs granola recipe." In the middle of me waiting for my browser to load the search results, the staff member came back around and asked me how it was.
"So so good! I was actually trying to search to see if there was a copycat recipe anywhere online..."
"Oh, would you like for me to ask the chef for the recipe? I can get it for you."
"Oh my gosh, that would be awesome."
About 10 minutes later, she emerged from the kitchens with a handwritten recipe straight from the chef's notes. Words cannot describe how much I appreciated the staff's kindness and how giddy I was at the prospect of making this wonderful granola at home! Profuse thank-yous and alerting the front desk to her extraordinary service and helpfulness would have to suffice.
This recipe was hotel-kitchen size, with 9 pounds of oatmeal called for. Um yeah, I don't have a mixing bowl that large...and if I made a batch of granola that big, I would become a whale of a person from eating that much! So here is the 1/10 scaled down recipe below. If you can use a digital scale, that ensures the best results with this recipe, but I've included our approximations of volume if you don't have one.
It's pretty dead on to the original, despite the differences between an industrial kitchen and home kitchen. All that coconut is what makes this granola so special, so addictive, and a keeper for generations to come.
Can't. Stop. Eating.
(And it's a gateway drug, as you will see in my future posts. More granola recipes to follow.)
Bedford Springs Homemade Granola
scaled down 1/10
Ingredients (original recipe amounts in parentheses):
Dry:
4.5 cups/14.4 ounces/408 grams oats
(9 lbs)
4 cups/11.2 ounces/317 grams sweetened shredded coconut (7 lbs)
2 ½ cups/8 ounces/226 grams pecans (5 lbs)
2 cups/8 ounces/226 grams cashews (5 lbs)
1 teaspoon salt (9 tsp/1.5 oz)
¾ cups/6.4 ounces/181.5 grams granulated sugar (4 lbs)
1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon (12 tsp)
4 cups/11.2 ounces/317 grams sweetened shredded coconut (7 lbs)
2 ½ cups/8 ounces/226 grams pecans (5 lbs)
2 cups/8 ounces/226 grams cashews (5 lbs)
1 teaspoon salt (9 tsp/1.5 oz)
¾ cups/6.4 ounces/181.5 grams granulated sugar (4 lbs)
1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon (12 tsp)
Wet:
6.5 tablespoons/4.8 ounces/136 grams honey (3 lbs)
3.4 Tablespoons /2.4 ounces/68 grams white corn syrup (24 oz)
4.5 Tablespoons/2.4 ounces/68 grams apple juice (24 oz)
6.75 tablespoons/3.2 ounces/90.7 grams vegetable oil (32 oz)
6.5 tablespoons/4.8 ounces/136 grams honey (3 lbs)
3.4 Tablespoons /2.4 ounces/68 grams white corn syrup (24 oz)
4.5 Tablespoons/2.4 ounces/68 grams apple juice (24 oz)
6.75 tablespoons/3.2 ounces/90.7 grams vegetable oil (32 oz)
~¼ teaspoon vanilla
extract (2-3 tsp) – Add last
*Note: Total volume of Wet Ingredients is approximately 1 & 1/3 cups; you can substitute other liquidy things if you prefer, like water if you have no apple juice, or maple syrup for the corn syrup.
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line with
parchment or foil two large cookie sheets. Set up two oven racks in the bottom and top thirds of the oven.
Mix together all the dry ingredients well in a large mixer (a
paddle attachment should work). Keep mixing on low speed for a minute or two to get everything evenly distributed. If using a Kichenaid mixer, the plastic pour guard/rim that comes with the mixer is really helpful in keeping things from flying out of the bowl while mixing (it's pretty full).
Combine all wet ingredients in a saucepan, put it over low-medium heat, and whisk until smooth and warm. The viscosity will decrease once it's warmed up. You don't need to get it to boiling, just hot.
While keeping the dry ingredients moving/mixing, slowly
pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Continue mixing until well combined and all dry ingredients are moistened.
Spread granola out in an even layer on prepared cookie
sheets and bake at 300 degrees. Bake about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes
or so to flip the browned granola away from the bottom and edges, spreading everything out into an even layer again after flipping. Once done, take out and cool. Chop up clumps
as desired as it hardens. If you like large chunks, let it cool all the way down and then break up clumps. If you like small grains, keep it moving as it cools.
Cool completely and store in airtight containers. Try not
to eat the entire batch in one sitting. Not recommended for the dieter.
This granola IS amazing. I used the last of mine on some mashed butternut squash, and it seemed to me like they were meant to be together ;)
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I've heard of such a combination! I'll take your word for it that it was tasty =P I made my THIRD batch of this stuff this morning. I am fairly sure I've gained weight from eating all this granola, haha.
ReplyDeleteBesides that yummy looking granola...how was the Inn? I'd LOVE to stay there sometime! I had a friend elope there (HA!) and her pictures were gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteIt is a REALLY nice resort. It's tucked away a little past the cute town of Bedford, and you feel very secluded. It is a bit pricey, we are lucky that we have not had to pay the full price of staying there. But it's absolutely romantic, beautiful, the food is excellent, and feels like a true getaway. There are rows and rows of rocking chairs on the balcony and deck chairs by the windows, a fire pit with s'mores kits you can get from the staff, afternoon tea and fruit in the lobby each day, a nice indoor pool, an onsite spa, and of course golf.
ReplyDeleteSounds lovely!!! Maybe someday I'll get a "getaway" there!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so delicious, thanks for sharing! Would you mind emailing me (email below) or posting the original recipe that makes a large batch? I need to make a large batch and would love to have the large batch recipe.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much
Penny
penny (at yahoo dot com)
Hi Penny, thanks for commenting! The large batch amounts are actually already in the recipe shared above, although they are in weights (9 lbs of oats, 7 lbs of coconut, etc). The original amounts are indicated in parentheses for all the items. If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!
DeleteThe BEST granola ever, thanks for sharing. I can't do the corn syrup or vegetable oil, so I am going to try something in their place. Wish me luck!
ReplyDeleteJackie
Good luck! It took me a few times to get it right, and definitely it comes out better (crunchier, better wet:dry ratio) when I weigh rather than use volume, but even if it isn't perfect texture-wise, the coconut is really what makes the flavor profile so different from other recipes so it will still taste "right." Enjoy, let me know if you have any further questions.
DeleteOH MY GOD!!!!! I have been looking for this recipe for so long. Not sure why it took me so long to find it, since its the first google result when you search "bedford springs resort granola".
ReplyDeleteI've am obsessed with this stuff and always load up on it when I stay at the hotel. Now off to load up on the ingredients.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have been looking for this recipe for so long, although not entirely sure why I was never able to find it. It was the first google result for "bedford springs resort granola".
I have been to the hotel a few times and have been obsessed with the granola since my first visit. I have been carefully rationing the pound of it I brought back with me this past summer, and only have a bit left. So happy I have found since I can now eat it with abandon. May save a bit of the original to compare to my homemade version, but the picture looks spot-on.
A note from the pastry chef at Bedford Springs Resort: "If you need some suggestions, perhaps I can help! I am Jayne, the Pastry Chef at the Springs, and I would be happy to assist. I am so pleased that our granola is such a hit. I love it. Ryan, one of my senior pastry cooks, makes it perfect every time." Please direct inquires to jsechoka at omnihotels dot com (e-mail address is written out for security).
ReplyDeleteI am stunned to find this recipe. I just returned from Bedford Springs with two bags of their granola. My plan was to duplicate as much as possible the most (!) delicious granola ever. To find the recipe was...amazing!! I am delighted in my good fortune. Thank you so much!!! Please let me know if there are any more additions or tips before I go into my mass (for gifts only) production. Is maple syrup a good substitution for corn syrup?? Again my thanks...many thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi! So glad you found this recipe too! I still to this day am shocked at their generosity (see the previous comment that I posted that was the pastry chef offering to answer any additional questions and her e-mail in written-out form to protect them from spam). To answer your question, I don't think I tried it with maple syrup before, but I've made enough granola in my life that I feel relatively confident that any liquid sweetener like maple syrup or agave nectar would probably be a decent substitute for the corn syrup. The maple may add an additional flavor profile but as long as you are ok with that, it should be fine from a wet/dry ingredient ratio! If you try it and it works out for you, please let me know! I usually write out my tips into the instructions, so hopefully it works out for you. The only other thing I noted in an earlier comment was that it worked out best texture-wise when I used the weights for all the ingredients, including the liquids, so if you have a kitchen scale, I'd use that as much as possible! Good luck!
DeleteWhat a gift to find this recipe!!! I visited Bedford Springs recently and was amazed at the granola. I bought two bags with the idea of duplicating and making this marvelous granola as gifts (and just for me!!!) So finding your recipe was such a bonus. I do have a question -- In the recipe, pecans and cashews are listed. However, in my precious bag of granola bought at Bedford Springs, there is a third nut (I think) It is round ...perhaps a macadamia? Are there any other updates or changes. I am anxious to start my own granola --- but I want it to be JUST LIKE Bedford Springs -- it doesn't get any better!!! Thank you so much!!!
ReplyDeleteThis may be a duplicate message -- I am a novice at many techno activities. I wrote previously -- a rave about the granola -- and an amazement at finding the recipe. My question (perhaps for the second time) is ----- in my recently purchased bags of Bedford Springs Granola, there is a third nut that is not mentioned in the recipe. I believe it is a macadamia nut -- but I am not sure. Do you know of any updates or changes in the original recipe? I hope this comment goes through......Ever so grateful for the recipe and any additional information you may have to offer.
ReplyDeleteHi Karalee, thanks for the comment! I'm so glad you found this recipe too, I was amazed that they shared it with me as well at the time. I haven't been back to Bedford Springs since the time I originally posted this recipe, which was 10 years ago now, and I now live several states away from Pennsylvania and have no contacts with any of the staff there, so I unfortunately can't comment about how they might have changed the recipe since I was there and received their recipe at the time. The head pastry chef at the time actually sent in a comment (see my comment above on October 1, 2013) expressing a lot of joy that people were enjoying the granola and even shared her contact info for more questions, and when I looked her up recently, I saw she had left Bedford Springs pretty recently. So, with new management, I'm sure there have been tweaks over the years. Does the bag have a list of ingredients? I think the only way to figure out what might be different is to compare the ingredient list on the bag with the ingredient list in the recipe above. Sorry I can't be more helpful! No one who has more recently commented on this post has reported back to me whether the recipe matches the current granola, so you'll just have to try it and see for yourself. Granola recipes are generally pretty adaptable to whatever nuts or grains/seeds you want to use or have on hand, so even if it isn't EXACTLY the same, I think it will taste enough the same that it will satisfy your craving! Best wishes!
Delete