Silent but busy

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of posts lately. I have been baking but not really taking pictures and labwork has been happily productive so I've been a bit short on time to sit down and crank out the posts.

But here are the pictures of the finished pizza using the No-Knead bread dough recipe I promised. After a few days in the fridge, the dough was so flavorful and chewy, and it smelled almost like we put beer in it! The last picture shows the beautiful bubble structure we got in the dough. Yum. It may be the best tasting pizza dough we've made at home EVER.




Otherwise I've been baking some "healthy" things, although the ulterior motive is to get rid of some ingredients in the fridge/freezer.

1) Lemon Angel Food Cake Cupcakes. I am too lazy and cheap to go out to buy an angel food cake pan, but I wanted to get rid of the egg whites in my freezer from all those times I made chocolate chip cookies that called for one yolk. Finding this recipe that used muffin tins to make angel food cake seemed like a good way to get rid of them, and they turned out quite well.

Tip 1: do use muffin cups--I didn't because I thought it was necessary to have the ungreased walls to make sure they rose properly, but they were hard to get out of the pan and deflated as I tried to extract them. Muffin cups would have been an easier solution.

Tip 2: Volume conversion for large egg whites is approximately 2 egg whites to 1/4 cup. I doubled the recipe, so I used 1 & 1/4 cup of egg whites for the equivalent of 10 egg whites.

2) "Vegan" Double Chocolate Muffins. No eggs, and you can un-vegan-ify the recipe by using milk rather than soymilk. Very moist, light, hearty with the whole wheat flour. Deep chocolate flavor. Great way of getting rid of the gigantic tub of maple syrup I have in my fridge.


Soon to come: Triple Ginger Biscotti with chocolate and pecans and Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies. And a biscotti love story!

Comments