...and then there was cake.
The big birthday bash has come and gone. It was a very busy weekend: shopping on Friday, baking all day Saturday, and then the festivities on Saturday evening.
Here was our menu, with links to recipes used, if available:
Savory
An assortment of crackers, baked flour tortilla chips, and toasted baguette slices
Crudite and Hummus (store-bought)
Smoked Salmon Dip
Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Pasta Salad (brought by friend)
Homemade Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
Assorted Puff Pastry Hor's Doeuvres (bought; Costco)
Sweet
Kid's Thumbprints with Orange Marmalade or Blackberry Jam (Baking: From My home to yours, pg. 163)
Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Tate's Bake Shop Thin and Crispy Cookies
Smoked Salmon Dip
Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Pasta Salad (brought by friend)
Homemade Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
Assorted Puff Pastry Hor's Doeuvres (bought; Costco)
Sweet
Kid's Thumbprints with Orange Marmalade or Blackberry Jam (Baking: From My home to yours, pg. 163)
Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Tate's Bake Shop Thin and Crispy Cookies
Tiramisu (made by friend)
Black and White Chocolate Cake (Baking: From My home to yours, pgs. 258-260)
Black and White Chocolate Cake (Baking: From My home to yours, pgs. 258-260)
Party Favors
One big fat chocolate chip cookie (the famed NYTimes recipe)
One big fat chocolate chip cookie (the famed NYTimes recipe)
So I actually have a pitiful number of pictures of the party, and even more pitiful is that I forgot to take my usual shots of the whole spread of food, which makes me very sad because we had such a nice bounty of stuff, and I labeled everything with little notecards. In my defense, the hor's doeuvres were rolling out of the oven continuously for a while so I wouldn't have had a complete picture before the party got going. But I guess that means I'll just have to throw another nice birthday party next year to make up for the lack of pictures this year, haha.
Comments about the food:
The spinach and artichoke dip was DELICIOUS. That is definitely a keeper recipe, and if you don't have a food processor, I bet if you just chopped up the spinach and artichoke a bit and mixed everything evenly together, it would equally gooey and delicious. The smoked salmon dip was good, I think a little salty, but that may be because I added more salmon than I was supposed to and probably should have cut the salt in the recipe to compensate. The puff pastry hor's doeuvres from Costco were very good. Yummy butter puff pastry and a good selection of fillings. The pasta salad disappeared very quickly, and the sweet potato fries likewise were depleted within minutes.
Comments about the desserts:
Yes, I did make 5 different recipes (4 cookies, 1 cake) for the party. Yes, I am crazy. But yes, they were all delicious. Pictured below are the thumbprints and the NYTimes cookie. The big hit of the evening was the chocolate toffee cookies. I got a lot of positive comments about that one. They came out like brownies in sturdy cookie form--deep chocolate flavor, moist and chewy, a little bit of caramely flavor and nut crunch. (There are some good pictures of the chocolate toffee cookies at the site I linked to for the recipe.) The cake was awesome, with way-too-easy-to-make-pastry-cream. The white chocolate whipped cream I think I overwhipped and it curdled on me, but I salvaged enough of it to put on the cake and survive to tasting.
And here are a few pictures I do have of at least some of the cookies and of me cutting my cake:
Sooooooooooooooo good!!!
ReplyDelete-Kathy