Cinnamon Blueberry Coffeecake


Have I mentioned that I love breakfast/brunch foods? Maybe once or twice...

Interestingly though, this is the first coffeecake I've ever made.

This particular blueberry coffeecake has been on the to-do list for ages, ever since I saw it on the blog Burghilicious. I love blueberry quickbreads, period. Muffins, tea breads, pancakes, etc. And the fact that this recipe comes from a bed and breakfast inn increases the appeal of the recipe exponentially for me. I love the romance and homeliness of tried-and-true B&B classic recipes. They emanate an aura of history and homemade comfort food.

...and of course, the two tablespoons of cinnamon in the topping of this recipe was calling my name. Loudly.

So one weekend, as I was pondering what to do with the last dregs of a bag of frozen blueberries, I decided to make it. The recipe can be found here. The only change I made was to substitute half the flour for whole wheat pastry flour.

This coffeecake was hearty/dark/rich with the fruity blueberries and cinnamon aroma, but also light and airy in texture of the cake itself. We definitely ate more than one piece at a time.


Spread half of the batter on the bottom of the lined square baking pan, spread 1/3 of the cinnamon topping and almost all the blueberries on top, then top with the other half of the batter. It's probably easier to dollop the second half of the batter in little bits across the whole surface of the cake, because it's hard to spread so you want to minimize the amount of spreading it will take to finish the second layer of batter.

Then spread the remaining 2/3 of the nutty cinnamon sugar topping on top to cover. It will seem like an excessive amount of sugar, and I think next time I might reduce the brown sugar to just 1/2 cup or 2/3 cup, but it you like those crunchy caramely bits on top of baked goods, maybe it's just best you leave it alone and enjoy the crunchy topping. I also sprinkled a few more blueberries on top, just for color.

Bake, cool, slice.

Serve, enjoy!

Comments

  1. Jessica may have mentioned that I LOVE blueberries. "Blueberries are the perfect fruit." So I was excited to try this recipe! It came out amazingly delicious! I agree maybe next time I will cut back on the brown sugar. It was easy to make and so yummy. I will put it with my other keeper recipes. Good One, Jessica's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica did tell me that you were lovestruck by this recipe and was considering whether or not to make it. I'm glad you did and liked it! I am sure I will rustle up more blueberry recipes in the future--I'll make sure to post them for your consideration too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment