Gingerbread biscotti
These gingerbread biscotti were a last-minute addition to my Christmas cookie baking. They are a quick way to get all that gingerbread cookie deliciousness in many servings without all the chilling and dough rolling and cookie-cutter mess.
In fact, I might just prefer this nut and ginger-studded biscotti over the relatively one-dimensional traditional gingerbread cookie recipe on any given day. The gingerbread flavor is strong, rich, and satisfyingly crunchy.
The recipe comes from Fine Cooking and can be found here. The only change I made was to use about 1/3 cup of chopped crystallized ginger rather than the dried apricots. Whichever dried fruit you prefer or have on hand would probably be yummy.
These Gingerbread Biscotti look dellicious. I was thinking of making them, so I read through the recipe. I was amazed when I didn't find any shortening used. How does that work? Kathy
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy, many biscotti recipes that I've made rely on just eggs for the wet ingredients, and in those cases you'll find that the biscotti tend to be less crumbly and more crunchy. This one also has a bit of molasses to contribute moisture. The dough is a little drier, and thus you just kinda have to press the logs into shape (it'll look really dry and crumbly but as long as you can press it into a log, I promise it will bake and meld together into a log). I guess you can think of it being a tad bit healthier, and you can eat more! Hope this helps.
ReplyDelete