Lunchbox staple: Pain de mie
This is our new sandwich bread! I recently was lucky to get my hands on a Pullman bread pan and immediately set out to recreate the nicely quadrilateral breads of our youth in Taiwan.
This
style of bread, made in a long loaf pan with a lid, is originally
French in origin, I think. The Japanese, being the Francophiles they
are, made this butter and milk-enriched bread a common item in their
bread shops, and the Taiwanese, being the Nipponophiles we are, grew up
buying it from all the Japanese and European style bakeries on the
island.
I used the well-rated recipe
on King Arthur Flour's website for my first try, and the only three
changes I made were that 1) I used rice flour (non-glutinous) instead of
potato flour because I was too lazy to go out and get some, and 2) I let it rise twice before forming the loaf and
letting the dough proof in the pan (3 rises total), and 3) I used powdered goat's milk instead of the nonfat dry milk in the recipe.
We
enjoyed this fine-crumbed, fragrant bread with ham and cucumbers for
lunch, and marmalade and Biscoff spread or Nutella for breakfasts and
afternoon tea! Oh the possibilities! (We subsequently have tried this
recipe for whole wheat pain de mie too.)
Comments
Post a Comment