Pear Bread: I *heart* cinnamon
This is another Bake or Break inspired recipe. We stopped by the grocery store yesterday, and the sight of pears reminded me that this recipe was burning a hole on my to-do list. So, three little pears came home with me.
I have undying love for cinnamon. Nine times out of ten, I will add more than what the recipe calls for to amplify the cinnamon profile in the end product. This recipe has a full tablespoon, plenty to suppress my cinnamon-supplementing tendencies.
The recipe itself is quite simple...too simple to be a safe recipe to have on hand.
You start by mixing together all the wet ingredients: 3/4 cup butter or oil (I used Smart Balance, which is non-trans fat), 3 eggs, 2 cups of sugar (I reduced this down to about 1 2/3 cup, eyeballing it), 2 cups of grated pears, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
Then you just mix in the pre-combined dry ingredients: 3 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt (I reduced this to 1/4 tsp since I used salted margarine), 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, and 1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts (recipe says to toss the chopped pecans in 1/4 of the total dry ingredients before combining with the rest of the dry ingredients--this is so the nuts stay suspended in the batter). Mix wet and dry together until just combined, and you're done!
Pour into a bundt pan or two loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. I split my batter between a bundt pan and one loaf pan, and so I ended up only needing about 40 minutes.

Jennifer of Bake or Break says that this bread is addictive, and I didn't get it at first, but once we started eating it, a funny thing happened. The leftover cake beckons to you by smell. And smelling that cinnamon, your mouth starts watering, your stomach starts grumbling again. It's one of those snacks that is sweet enough to satisfy the sweet tooth, but light enough that you could just keep eating it with a nice cup of tea or coffee.
The texture is a sturdy crumb studded with satisfying chunks of nut, and overall it was more dry than I was expecting (probably because I didn't have quite enough pears for two cups of grated pear), but moist enough to eat by itself without feeling the overwhelming need for a cup of milk. I would say that this would be excellent for a brunch. We've been eating it all hours, though.
Here's the recipe and blog entry at Bake or Break, but be forewarned by both myself and Jennifer, this quickbread is addictive!!

I have undying love for cinnamon. Nine times out of ten, I will add more than what the recipe calls for to amplify the cinnamon profile in the end product. This recipe has a full tablespoon, plenty to suppress my cinnamon-supplementing tendencies.
The recipe itself is quite simple...too simple to be a safe recipe to have on hand.
You start by mixing together all the wet ingredients: 3/4 cup butter or oil (I used Smart Balance, which is non-trans fat), 3 eggs, 2 cups of sugar (I reduced this down to about 1 2/3 cup, eyeballing it), 2 cups of grated pears, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
Then you just mix in the pre-combined dry ingredients: 3 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt (I reduced this to 1/4 tsp since I used salted margarine), 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, and 1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts (recipe says to toss the chopped pecans in 1/4 of the total dry ingredients before combining with the rest of the dry ingredients--this is so the nuts stay suspended in the batter). Mix wet and dry together until just combined, and you're done!
Pour into a bundt pan or two loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. I split my batter between a bundt pan and one loaf pan, and so I ended up only needing about 40 minutes.
Jennifer of Bake or Break says that this bread is addictive, and I didn't get it at first, but once we started eating it, a funny thing happened. The leftover cake beckons to you by smell. And smelling that cinnamon, your mouth starts watering, your stomach starts grumbling again. It's one of those snacks that is sweet enough to satisfy the sweet tooth, but light enough that you could just keep eating it with a nice cup of tea or coffee.
The texture is a sturdy crumb studded with satisfying chunks of nut, and overall it was more dry than I was expecting (probably because I didn't have quite enough pears for two cups of grated pear), but moist enough to eat by itself without feeling the overwhelming need for a cup of milk. I would say that this would be excellent for a brunch. We've been eating it all hours, though.
Here's the recipe and blog entry at Bake or Break, but be forewarned by both myself and Jennifer, this quickbread is addictive!!
Comments
Post a Comment