San Francisco, Days 3-5: Asian food galore


This is where my food picture documentation has started to be more patchy. First I went to Berkeley and also Chinatown with people, but I always forget to take pictures of the food when I am trying to catch up with people. We had some wonderful Taiwanese food in Berkeley, and then in Chinatown I had some decent dim sum and really awesome sizzling pepper steak and yummy bok choy.  

But somewhere in between I went to Japantown. I got some mochi and salmon-stuffed rice ball (pictured above).



And a ham and cheese and veggie crepe with sweet Japanese mayo. Yum! Not too heavy and crisp, and fresh.



And today I took a bakery trip to Chinatown. From the top, going clockwise, we have an egg custard tart, paper-lined sponge cake, "dry pork" bun, and custard bun.



Also from Chinatown was this beautiful baked pork bun from a really old school joint. 


Inside was meaty and fatty and sweet and delicious. The bread was more brioche-y than a normal BBQ pork bun, but it was great--fluffy and buttery.

Also I've been eating a lot at the conference itself. For proprietary reasons I will do the companies a courtesy of not posting pictures of what they were serving, but it is pretty crazy. I guess people have cracked down on not giving doctors/researchers too much merchandise freebies so they moved to giving people FOOD. Sounds good to me! Made to order smoothies and espresso drinks, warm cookies, frozen yogurt, ice cream, fresh fruit-topped custard tarts, hot chocolate, and more. The opening reception on Saturday evening was my dinner; there was stuff like puff pastry-wrapped beef, chicken satay, potstickers, Parmesan puffs, fig and mushroom tarts, and a limited-item open bar!

Just two more full days left, but plenty more to see and eat!

Comments