Cookie update

Wow, rave reviews for both cookies =) Very many happy seminar attendees and labmates. My favorite quote of the day, from one of my labmates after polishing off an oatmeal cranberry cookie, "I like working here!" My second favorite was, "So I guess no more cookies for a week, huh?" from another labmate, since I am going out of town from tomorrow to next Wednesday.

One of my friends and a couple members of my lab who have had both the CI chocolate chip cookie and the Tate's one said today that the CI cookie is the best I've made thus far. This is quickly escalating up to a match-off!! I think the previous feedback from my friends saying Tate's was better may have been skewed because of the inaccurate texture (too crunchy), so Take 2 may be the more accurate feedback? The funny thing is that my rendition of Tate's cookies has an "inaccurate" texture as well--the cookie is supposed to be thin and crispy, but I think I use too large of a cookie scoop so they end up a little fatter than it's supposed to be and thus with the magic amount of chew that everyone loves.

And the oatmeal cranberry cookies packed a surprisingly intense punch of flavor that wowed my labmates. Their smell was too much temptation for my thesis advisor at lab meeting and she gave in and ate one--luckily for her they have oatmeal and non-refined sugar to blunt the blood sugar spike a bit and she was fine despite eating it. She ordinarily avoids sweets because she has diet-controlled diabetes, and too much sugar makes her sick... I bake sugar-free things for her when possible. She commented to me today about the irony, "And of course I get the student that loves to bake!"

Ooh, which reminds me, I discovered how to substitute for brown sugar today!! I felt bad that I couldn't make something sugar-free for my advisor because I didn't know how to substitute brown sugar into baked goods, so I decided to Google-search substitutions, and the answer was simpler than I had thought.

Sugar-free brown sugar substitution:

1 cup Splenda (or any other artificial sweetener that you can sub 1:1 in baking recipes)
1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup (I took this to mean maple flavored syrup)

Mix well, substitute for 1 cup brown sugar in recipes.

I can't wait to try it in a cookie recipe!

Comments