DePsychopath's Light and Fluffy Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Pancakes

I've been making this buttermilk pancake recipe from Martha Stewart for years, and it's always been the favorite of my family. The full recipe asks for 3 cups of buttermilk, but since I only had one cup left to use up today, I scaled down the recipe to a third of the original. Unfortunately, the full recipe also asked for 2 eggs, and 2/3 of an egg is quite hard to measure, so I just used a full egg. The resultant pancake was a little different than usual--lighter and fluffy and spongy, as opposed to the more tender and moist and delicate like the original recipe. Michael really, really enjoyed the new version, best he's ever had in fact, so I thought I'd share the modified recipe.

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/6 tsp salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/3 tbsp melted and cooled butter

Combine all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together all the wet ingredients, pour into dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined. The batter will be thick and start to bubble a little due to the leavening. Make pancakes in your usual fashion. I use butter as the pan grease, and I find that medium to medium-low heat gets the most even cooking and less accidental burning. Makes about 4 medium pancakes.

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Add about 1/4 tsp of cinnamon to dry ingredients (for the above recipe). Alternatively, if you don't want all your pancakes to have cinnamon, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of each designated pancake after pouring into pan. Then, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on top of each pancake while bottom interface is cooking. Take whatever utensil you used to scoop batter into the pan and spread just a little bit more batter over the top of the chocolate chips, making sure there is no exposed chocolate. This way when you flip the pancake, the chocolate chips won't make direct contact with the pan and scorch.

Comments

  1. The original iteration of these pancakes is fantastic - I can only imagine the modified version. I guess that means I need to buy some buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo gonna have to try this recipe =) next weekend it is a must =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys definitely should try it--it's pretty awesome. The scaled down version is more manageable if you only have a couple people, but if you're feeding a crowd, the original recipe is just the one I posted, tripled and only 2 eggs...I think I may have done the butter calculation wrong, but in any case, a bit more or less isn't going to make a huge deal.

    Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment