My first Oatmeal Cookie Guy recipe: Cranberry Crunch Cookies
I have recently discovered a food blog that has quickly become one of my favorite blogs of all time: Oatmeal CookieBlog.
Oatmeal Cookie Guy (I believe his real name is Greg) lives in New York City and has created dozens of creative, delectable oatmeal cookie recipes, and this one actually won him a local food contest award.
Judging by the feedback from his reviewers, there's not a recipe on his site that isn't worth trying...
But let's start with the award-winning one.
This and the CI "Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie" (see next post) was made tonight in preparation for my program's monthly seminar. Due to the tightening of purse strings lately, the standard free dinner to go with evening events has been indefinitely suspended. So I started making cookies to tide people over until they can get home to dinner.
Since I followed the recipe verbatim except for baking time, here is the link to the original recipe on Oatmeal Cookie Blog.
My dough came out very wet, and that is due to my over-hydrating the dark brown sugar to break down the gigantic dried-out lumps. But I'd picked up this dark brown sugar from a Korean grocery about 250 miles away from here, so goshdarnit, I'm getting full use of it, dried out or not. I love the flavor of this sugar, so it was worth the extra water I couldn't get rid of and so my cookies will probably be more cakey than they should be. I had to increase the baking time to 15 minutes to get adequate setting and crunch of the cookies. Oh well. No one will know any better! =P
Under construction:

And here is my finished product:

I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful these cookies smell. Orange and cinnamon and toasted nuts... yum. The ground up graham crackers are an interesting addition, and they actually add a depth of flavor that is noticeable in the finished product.
Coming up next, chocolate chip cookies!
Oatmeal Cookie Guy (I believe his real name is Greg) lives in New York City and has created dozens of creative, delectable oatmeal cookie recipes, and this one actually won him a local food contest award.
Judging by the feedback from his reviewers, there's not a recipe on his site that isn't worth trying...
But let's start with the award-winning one.
This and the CI "Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie" (see next post) was made tonight in preparation for my program's monthly seminar. Due to the tightening of purse strings lately, the standard free dinner to go with evening events has been indefinitely suspended. So I started making cookies to tide people over until they can get home to dinner.
Since I followed the recipe verbatim except for baking time, here is the link to the original recipe on Oatmeal Cookie Blog.
My dough came out very wet, and that is due to my over-hydrating the dark brown sugar to break down the gigantic dried-out lumps. But I'd picked up this dark brown sugar from a Korean grocery about 250 miles away from here, so goshdarnit, I'm getting full use of it, dried out or not. I love the flavor of this sugar, so it was worth the extra water I couldn't get rid of and so my cookies will probably be more cakey than they should be. I had to increase the baking time to 15 minutes to get adequate setting and crunch of the cookies. Oh well. No one will know any better! =P
Under construction:

And here is my finished product:

I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful these cookies smell. Orange and cinnamon and toasted nuts... yum. The ground up graham crackers are an interesting addition, and they actually add a depth of flavor that is noticeable in the finished product.
Coming up next, chocolate chip cookies!
The cookies look wonderful. Word to the wise, though. If you put a cut apple or cut potato in the sealed container with the brown sugar it will become moist again. And, No, water will does not work. I have tried that one too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip, Rosenay, I'll use it for my remaining bag of Korean store dark brown sugar that also dried out before I realized. I consider myself fortunate that the cookies came out as well as they did considering the extra moisture. I think the absorptive qualities of the dried cranberries and oatmeal probably buffered the situation. Thanks for visiting!
ReplyDeleteSeeking oatmeal cookie advice: I have some crappy instant oatmeal (my local Canadian grocer doesn't sell Quaker Oats - wahhh) that is only fit to be cookiefied. Does the Oatmeal Cookie Guy have something to do with crappy instant oatmeal?
ReplyDelete